- Natural gas under griund storage in the UK and why we need...
Natural gas under griund storage in the UK and why we need it. Illustrate your essay with specific examples.
The need to secure energy sources is of vital importance to the
development of a country's economic activity. Selecting the right
strategy and finding the most suitable technologies to implement
those measures is essential.
In the current market and legal frameworks, the UK is heavily
dependent of the supply of imported fossil fuels, in particular
natural gas. As a part of the energy security strategy, the UK has
focused on developing ways to guarantee that the best possible use
of those supplies is made.
- Site selection: the adequate
selection the site, based on the natural geological conditions, gas
markets locations and infrastructure availability;
- Design: modelling the caverns
construction and operation process to ensure maximum safety
conditions, and following the requirements of existing legislation,
such as the COMAH and British standards;
- Construction: using the best
available engineering and mining techniques;
- Operation: conducting a thorough
monitoring of operations to ensure that release scenarios are
avoided and following the conditions established in
- Closure: taking precautionary
measures to guarantee fluid tightness and cavern stability.
The minimum requirements pointed out in thus analysis
- Characteristics of storage
- Prediction of results (simulation of cavity behavior)
- Technology used during the injection through wells
- Monitoring and verification of storage
- Analysis of risk, mitigation and remediation
- Abandoning wells and strategies for leaving intact the halite
All of these aspects need to be considered by policymakers to
promote the use of these gas storage techniques.