September is here, which signals the start of autumn term in the UK. Students from Britain, Wales and Northern Ireland are undoubtedly having mixed feelings of anticipation, excitement and anxiety. Aside from offering various writing services, we at Essaywriter also provide helpful tips to uni students to ensure a fruitful academic year.
General Autumn Term Tips
Summer vacation is over and it is time to be focused on your studies again. The following tips will be applicable to both new and returning uni pupils.
- Be proactive. Start the academic year right by being optimistic and active. Instead of feeling nervous and idling around, do something like scheduling your life. Have a timetable of your school activities and relaxation time.
- Check your courses this autumn term for you to be familiar with the outline. Take time to check your syllabus so you know what to expect and how you will prepare yourself.
- Have the right mindset. Since uni is quite intense and semesters are shorter, students have less time for everything. Having the right mentality would definitely help you survive your uni journey.
- Be organised. This may sound like a broken record but it does pay off to be systematic. Minimise stress in your uni life by organising your room and schedule. Set deadlines to complete work so you won’t feel overwhelmed come exam time.
- Be involved but don’t over-commit. Get into clubs, join orientations and have extracurricular activities to balance your studies and social life. However, do not get overwhelmed with all your choices and learn to say no to invitations.
- Read the bulletin boards. Aside from keeping you up-to-date with campus events, bulletin boards also post cheap accommodations and second-hand school stuff. Being able to buy used books and other materials will save you sums of money you can spend for other things.
- Manage your finances. No matter what year you are, it is important to spend your money wisely. Don’t waste your money on expensive food because there are a lot of healthy and cheaper alternatives at the supermarket.
Autumn Term Tips for First Year Students
It is natural for freshies to feel anxious on your first week of uni. University life may not be easy but it can be one of the most exciting times of your life. It can be fun and is a great way to socialise and become more mature. These tips are particularly helpful to students on their first year of uni life.
- Learn your way around. Come in early or take time to be on campus when you don’t have lectures. Walk around and know where everything is. From offices, lecture rooms, laboratories, cafeterias and cafes, to nurse’s clinics.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help. Tutors will appreciate it if you ask something to be repeated or if you have anything that needs clarifications. It also would not hurt if you ask help from a fellow student. Who knows? The person you ask may be one of your close friends in campus. Ask for help early before stress builds up further.
- Give yourself enough exposure. Uni life will definitely be lonely if you don’t put the effort to make friends or join clubs and societies. Reduce the feeling of intimidation and boost your confidence by having friends. Check your uni’s clubs so you can meet people with the same hobbies and interests.
- Take advantage of careers sessions and employer presentations in your college or uni. These are great opportunities even for freshmen so you can learn about various career options.
- Use various study techniques. Mixing up your study routine will provide better chances of being productive. Having one way of studying can make you bored, sleepy and lazy. Aside from simply reading and memorising, use flashcards, watch online tutorials or complete timed practice tests. Even asking family or friends to quiz you will help.